Sunday 13 March 2016

All Wounded Warriors, Please Step Forward


I've been through a lot. I've experienced a lot. I have survived a lot.  And I'm still standing.  Well, some days I may be reduced to a groveling heap just hanging on by a thread.. but I make it through those days.  Somehow I always find my feet.
I'm writing another book.  This is not like my first book which is all about hope and sunshine and living your best life.  My second book is about suffering.  It's about walking through the darkness and coming through it without becoming a monster yourself.
Because many wounded warriors are monsters.  You're not a monster because your leg has been shot off and half your face is blasted away.  You are a monster because your heart is frozen.  You live in a place where pain is your norm and you pass that on to everyone with whom you come into contact.
Most of us do not want to hurt the ones we love.  We don't want to break their hearts or betray their trust.  We do not want to let them down and hurt their feelings.  We do not want to be the cause of their tears.  But we are.
And we want to change so badly but we don't know how.  
I can tell you from expereince, that no matter how open you are to the process, no matter how willing you are to learn or how badly you want to succeed, you do not stand a snowball’s chance in hell of success until you stop spewing your shit all over everyone else. 
It stinks, its disgusting and nobody wants to be around it.  You have to own it and you have to take responsibility for cleaning it up.

Quit Controlling


We wounded warriors have earned a certain level of respect just by surviving.  Given what we have been through, we are deserving of respect and honor for just being here and being somewhat sane.
We took up our shields when we needed to and sometimes we can’t put them back down because we never again, EVER want to feel the helplessness and the vulnerability that we have felt before.  So we suit ourselves up in armor so thick that it keeps out the good as well as the ill.  We become unapproachable, incomprehensible and in some ways unlovable.  We don’t mean to, it’s not what we want .. but we just can’t put our shields down.
What does your armor look like?  Are you the perfectionist workaholic who lives for the security that money and power can provide?  Are you wearing the ‘stepford wife’ armor?  Your hair is perfect, your weight is perfect, your clothes are perfect, your home is perfect, your kids are perfect...you’re driving yourself and everyone else around you crazy in your attempt to make your entire world perfect.
Is your armor rebellion and dysfunction? “I am who I am, I don’t give a shit what you think. F!@#  You!”  So you drink and you dope and you binge and you sleep around.  Being out of control is your way of maintaining control because if you bring the crap onto yourself then you’re not so much of a victim, you can tell yourself that you deserved it.  And that makes sense to you.
“Let go of the shore and let the water carry you” – Karen Drucker
Once when I was very young we were at the beach and I fell into the water.  I remember the sense of panic as I fought helplessly against the waves.  I kicked and flailed with all my might but I kept going under.  The salt water seared my lungs and poked daggers into my eyes and the cruel waves were like chains on my arms and legs, inexorably pulling me under.  Finally I gave in and stopped fighting, I just surrendered to the waves.  Then an amazing thing happened.  The water took my limp body and pushed it upward and the gentle waves carried me to the shore.
It’s hard for us to surrender control because deep down we see the world as a hostile place and if we relinquish control we expose ourselves to unthinkable horrors.  But on that day in my childhood I discovered that the same ocean which in one moment was this terrifying force bent on destroying me, that same ocean buoyed me up and bore me to safety.  All I needed to do was surrender. 
You have to stop struggling against life and trying to control every part of it.  Life is like the ocean, the more you fight it the more you drown.  But if you can learn to surrender, if you can learn to trust your own innate buoyancy, then the waves just might carry you to safety.

Ditch Defensiveness


A warrior’s armor may seem to be as thick as a rhino’s hide but there’s a little known secret that the warriors hide very well.  Our armour is as fragile as eggshells and people break through many times causing tremendous hurt in the process.  When we fight back we do so much damage that people are blinded to the cracks in our armor.
One of my favorite Dr Phil quotes is “Do you want to be right or do you want to be successful”.  There are many variations.. “do you want to be right or do you want to be married?”, “do you want to be right or do you want a relationship with your child”, “do you want to be right or do you want your job?”
We’re always looking for the dangers lurking in our environment.  Some of us actively go hunting , trying to get them before they get us.  Others stay put with shields raised, repelling every threat as effectively as we can.  Regardless of our approach we have one thing in common.
If you’re a wounded warrior, you are defensive.  Period.
Stop defending it, stop denying it, stop deflecting, dominating and doing everything in your power to divert attention from it.  Own your shit.  Then heal it.

Park the Paranoia


“My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did.” – Dr Phil
As Warriors our senses are highly attuned to danger, we see it coming where other people are impervious.  Our hackles rise and we go into fight or flight mode, we strike out or we duck for cover.  And others look on thinking “what the heck?”.
I have persons close to me who live with real life full on paranoia.  I have tried to be sensitive to their struggles and to love through it but I have also ended up badly bruised from getting in caught in the wake their madness.  Because paranoid people genuinely live an an alternate reality.  You cannot tell them that the things they see and feel and experience are not valid because it is very real to them.
Psychology speaks of perception “the way in which something is regarded, understood, or interpreted”.  We all go through life with a filter on our vision.  Some people have rose colored filters which make the world a happy and accommodating place, others have clear filters which allow them to have a fairly balanced vision of reality.  Wounded warriors’ filters often act like blinders, they simply cannot perceive reality as it actually is.
“We often confuse perception with reality. That is, we mistake how we understand things for the way that they really are.  Our thoughts and feelings seem real to us, so we conclude that they must be true.” -liveboldandbloom.com
Metaphysicians tell us that the things we perceive as being solid actually aren’t.  Scientists such as Albert Einstien and John Von Neumann have proven that objects which we perceive as solid actually are all just energy.  And energy is mutable.  So mutable that it can actually be changed into something else just through the expectation of the observer.
It is important for wounded warriors to understand that reality is multi-dimensional.  It is complex and it is fluid.  It is not black and white.  It is not absolute.  It is probably not what you perceive it to be.

Surrender Self-Pity


“There is no practice more degrading, debasing, and soul- destroying than that of self-pity.  Cast it out from you. While such a canker is feeding upon your heart you can never expect to grow into a fuller life.”  – James Allen
One of the ironies of life is that the people who do cause the most hurt to others are often the ones who spend the most time feeling sorry for themselves.
Yes, you’ve been kicked in the teeth, knocked down and run over.  Yes you’ve been neglected, abused, betrayed and hurt.  We get it.  Can you please stop throwing it at us ALL the time!
Have you allowed the challenges in your life to define who you are?  One interesting characteristic of the human state is that intense suffering can bring out the worst in us and it can bring out the best in us.
Another immutable truth is that suffering is universal.  We all experience it at some point in our journey.  Suffering visits us through childhood dysfunction and trauma,  through wars and political instability.  Suffering comes to us as hunger, as empty bank accounts, as calloused hands and aching backs.  Suffering comes to us as children who die and parents who forget who we are.  Suffering comes in the form of cancer and HIV AIDS.  Suffering visits us as accidents and injuries and sudden twists of fate that change the very fabric of life as we know it.
Suffering visits all or us.
But some of us hold onto suffering as our badge of honor.  We make it our identity.  We wake up everyday, pick up our suffering and go into the world painting it all over everyone and everything that we come into contact with.  And in doing so we become the cause of someone else’s suffering.
You do not have the right to make your misery everyone else’s problem.  You do not have license to go out into the world and be an asshole. You do not have the right to hurt others because you are hurting inside.  Get over yourself. 

Vacate Victimhood


“The problem that we have with a victim mentality is that we forget to see the blessings of the day. Because of this, our spirit is poisoned instead of nourished.” 
- Steve Maraboli
There is a fascinating connection between victimhood and martyrdom.  Many who see themselves as victims put themselves into positions where they can be victimized.  Or they unconsciously take on all the burdens of those around them and make martyrs of themselves.
Now if like Mother Teresa you are called to self-sacrifice and you embrace that as your gift to the world then you have my utmost admiration.  But I have no tolerance for the martyrs who take on the role then spend all their time telling the world about it.  And the funny thing about these martyrs is that if you try to ease their situation you will come under attack, because you are trying to remove from them the thing which is most important to them.. their victimhood.
“Manipulators often play the victim role by portraying themselves as victims of circumstances or someone else's behavior in order to gain pity or sympathy or to evoke compassion and thereby get something from another”. - Wikipedia
Stop bitching about everybody else and what they’ve done to you and start cleaning up your own shit yourself.  The only person who can make you a victim is you.

Author’s note
As I penned the headline for this post I was struck by the irony of it.  I may be asking people to do things that they are literally not capable of doing.  I believe in the indomitable human spirit and I believe in our ability to make the impossible possible.
This post is inspired by my upcoming book Baggage Reclaim.  Sometimes before we can Embrace Prosperity, we have to clear out the smelly stuff first.  My message today is we create our realities and if we are mindful of the trail we leave behind, we just may manage to experience the reality that we desire.
If you liked this post I would be so appreciative if you would spread the word and like my author page on Facebook.  I would be so happy to email this and future posts directly to you, if you're interested please subscribe to my mailing list.  You may also follow me on Twitter #ProsperityIsMind or check out my website www.prosperityismind.com
I bless you, I bless your journey and I am so happy to be a part of it.  I pray this is your time to stand as a warrior, made wiser by your wounds but not crippled by them.
Inspiration Links
* I am in no way affiliated with the sites that I link to here.  The messages presented are in alignment with the thoughts presented in this post and they have inspired me, I hope that they will inspire you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment